Saturday 27 March 2010

Comic strip: theological superheroes

When I was gathering the abstracts for the Sarah Coakley symposium, I kept pestering Oliver Crisp to write an abstract. So finally, just to appease me, he submitted the following title and abstract:

"Coakley vs. Martians in Manhattan Showdown": In this paper I will argue that the psychic powers Coakley has developed in her work would enable her to deal with and destroy any bid made by desperate extra-terrestrials to take over Manhattan just by thinking the words "feminist theology rocks".
I mentioned in yesterday's comments that this entire paper could be written as a graphic novel. So Oliver Crisp has come through with the goods – behold, the theological superheroes comic strip, starring Sarah Coakley (click to enlarge):


No doubt about it: this is gonna be an interesting symposium...

15 Comments:

Steven Demmler said...

Sarah Coakley's hands frighten me!

Terry Wright said...

I'm hooked!

I wonder if there's a market for this. You could have Hauerwas: Justice League and Barth 2099.

Anonymous said...

I've been reading your blog the past few days and have been loving it. This post is the icing on the cake.

Geri Russell said...

I love it!

Terry...there is definitely a market for theology cartoons. John Coe has an animated theological dictionary,"Wildlife in the Kingdom Come."

http://www.amazon.com/Wildlife-Kingdom-Come-Creatures-Theological/dp/0310576814/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1269790803&sr=8-3

Terry Wright said...

Cheers, Bob. There's also a potted history of theology out there (I forget the precise title, though it's along the 'potted history' lines), which is in cartoony form.

There's also the old Winebibber book, which is wonderfully immature and one-track in places. I've uploaded my favourite comic strip from this on my blog.

kim fabricius said...

Suggested title for Oliver's paper: "What, Me Worry?: The Kenotic SDI of Sarah Coakley"

myleswerntz said...

who's that in the bottom right corner supposed to be?

Fat said...

Art Garfunkel??

Terry Wright said...

I'm guessing Simone de Beauvoir.

Derek said...

James K.A. Smith?

Doug Harink said...

It's Katherine Tanner, of course.

Doug Harink said...

Sorry, that should be Kathryn Tanner.

Ben Myers said...

Yeah, thanks Doug — it's Tanner.

Doug Harink said...

Too bad there's no prize...

kim fabricius said...

Bad hair day for all (except Stanley, of course).

Post a Comment

Archive

Contact us

Although we're not always able to reply, please feel free to email the authors of this blog.

Faith and Theology © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO